Recent Research in the Media
- AAI, UC Berkeley and Equitable Growth Issue Addenda to Report on Private Equity Ownership in Healthcare
The report, covered by multiple media outlets including the New York Times and Washington Post, highlights private equity’s voracious acquisition of physician practices over the last several years, evaluating market penetration across 10 physician practice specialties within markets across the United States, the impact on market shares and concentration, and on prices and expenditures.
View the American Antitrust Institute press release article and the addenda.
- California Lawmaker Takes Another Shot at Single-payer Health Care
Richard Scheffler, professor of health economics at UC Berkeley, points to the problem of paying for single-payer health care coverage.
Read the full article here.
- Health Affairs Announces that Professor Fulton will be Writing the Health Care Competition & Antitrust Newsletter
Beginning in February 2024, Professor Fulton will be providing insight into the world of healthcare, competition, and antitrust through monthly newsletters.
Click here to learn how to become a subscriber.
- Monetizing Money Report Cited in Senator Elizabeth Warren’s Complaint to USAP on Anti-Competitive Tactics
Click here to view the letter to U.S. Anesthesia Partners from the U.S. Senate regarding anticompetitive practices.
- 2023 Draft Merger Guidelines: A Conversation with Professor Thomas Greaney
In this episode of Antitrust Matters, James Kovacs and Jean Kim are joined by Professor Thomas Greaney from UC Law San Francisco to discuss the impact of the 2023 Draft Merger Guidelines on healthcare mergers with a focus on cross-market and vertical acquisitions.
Find out more here.
- Monetizing Medicine: Private Equity and Competition in Physician and Practice Markets Addendums
“The addendums provide additional data and more detailed information regarding metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) that had a private equity (PE) firm with 30+% or 50+% market share in 2021 for one or more of the ten physician specialties analyzed in the report. Addendum 1 provides the physician specialty, the name of the physician practice, and the PE firm with the 30+% or 50+% market share for most of the MSAs mentioned in the original report. Addendum 2 presents the MSA-level three year post-PE price increase for the affected specialty.”
- Monetizing Medicine: Private Equity and Competition in Physician and Practice Markets
Check out the Petris Center’s recent report on the rise of private equity firms in acquiring physician practices, in collaboration with AAI and the Washington Center for Equitable Growth. The study covers ten medical specialties across the United States, offering insights into private equity’s impact on market concentration and healthcare expenditure. Lead author Richard Scheffler expresses concerns over shifts towards prioritizing profits over patient care, with far-reaching implications in the practice of medicine.
By Richard M. Scheffler, Laura Alexander, Brent D. Fulton, Daniel R. Arnold, Ola A. Abdelhadi | Link to the full report here.